Company in the woods ~
So Chad called me up to see if he could use some of the dried wood on the north of the house. (You know, he's the Scoutmaster/YM President, and was taking his boys camping.) And if so, could I bring him some on his lunch hour. I said, "Sure!" So before I had to leave, I went out to get a bunch of wood packed into the trunk. The wood is VERY dry, and so I thought it would burn quickly, and I needed to give him a LOT so they wouldn't run out.
I started with the smaller, flat, 12-inch-long slabs that would burn quickly. Then I put in some tree-stump-like round ones. Then for good measure, I decided to give him some more flat ones.
To my surprise, all of a sudden, my right thumb started HURTING. I looked down, and there on my thumb was a wasp! The little bugger STUNG me! What nerve! I swatted him off as the sharp pain started. Then I looked at the wood pile. There were scores of his brothers all swarming, madder than hornets..... No, wait, they were WASPS. But they were MAD. Apparently, there was a nest somewhere in the wood, and I disturbed it.
I said to myself, "It doesn't hurt, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't hurt....." And then I tried to remember what you do for a sting. Is it ice water? Is it mud? Too much work. So I said, "I'll do nothing." I hadn't gotten enough wood, so I got some more. I left the trunk open so that if there were some hanger-ons in the wood, they could fly away before I came out to take the wood to Chad.
I met Chat at Carl's by 72nd. We ate a quick bite of lunch, and then went outside to transfer the wood. His car was beside mine, so we opened both trunks to move the wood over. Much to our surprise (although it shouldn't have been a surprise) there were still some wasps in the trunk. Unfortunately, one stung Chad (on his middle finger—just ask him, he'll show you!). He shook it off (didn't hurt too badly and for too long) and continued to move the wood. However, to his even greater surprise, the wasp's nest was actually on a piece of wood in my trunk. So the two of us stood in the parking log beside two cars with their trunks open in the 100-degree heat, trying to decide how to move a wasp's nest out of my car. There was still a stubborn hanger-on swarming around the nest (a mother in fear of her little eggs' safety?).
Getting our gumption up, we finally (Chad did) grabbed the wood and threw it out onto the parking lot. Then he kicked the nest off the wood and then smashed it to smithereens. The afflicted wood we threw out in the garbge can at Carl's Jr. Then he took his wood and went home.
Another great adventure!
I started with the smaller, flat, 12-inch-long slabs that would burn quickly. Then I put in some tree-stump-like round ones. Then for good measure, I decided to give him some more flat ones.
To my surprise, all of a sudden, my right thumb started HURTING. I looked down, and there on my thumb was a wasp! The little bugger STUNG me! What nerve! I swatted him off as the sharp pain started. Then I looked at the wood pile. There were scores of his brothers all swarming, madder than hornets..... No, wait, they were WASPS. But they were MAD. Apparently, there was a nest somewhere in the wood, and I disturbed it.
I said to myself, "It doesn't hurt, it doesn't hurt, it doesn't hurt....." And then I tried to remember what you do for a sting. Is it ice water? Is it mud? Too much work. So I said, "I'll do nothing." I hadn't gotten enough wood, so I got some more. I left the trunk open so that if there were some hanger-ons in the wood, they could fly away before I came out to take the wood to Chad.
I met Chat at Carl's by 72nd. We ate a quick bite of lunch, and then went outside to transfer the wood. His car was beside mine, so we opened both trunks to move the wood over. Much to our surprise (although it shouldn't have been a surprise) there were still some wasps in the trunk. Unfortunately, one stung Chad (on his middle finger—just ask him, he'll show you!). He shook it off (didn't hurt too badly and for too long) and continued to move the wood. However, to his even greater surprise, the wasp's nest was actually on a piece of wood in my trunk. So the two of us stood in the parking log beside two cars with their trunks open in the 100-degree heat, trying to decide how to move a wasp's nest out of my car. There was still a stubborn hanger-on swarming around the nest (a mother in fear of her little eggs' safety?).
Getting our gumption up, we finally (Chad did) grabbed the wood and threw it out onto the parking lot. Then he kicked the nest off the wood and then smashed it to smithereens. The afflicted wood we threw out in the garbge can at Carl's Jr. Then he took his wood and went home.
Another great adventure!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home